Read-a-Thon hangover? Why, yes! I believe I still have one! But it is SOOOO worth it!
- We had 484 people sign-up to participate this October.
- 229 of those participated in the Introduction Meme.
- 127 participated in the Mid-Event Survey.
- 132 of those participated in the End of Event Meme (so far!).
- 504 books were entered into the Books Read Database (there’s still time to add yours)
- We had 38 cheerleaders sign-up.
- We had 21 Mini-Challenge hosts.
- We had readers participate via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, their blogs, and everywhere else imaginable!
- Hundreds of Instagram photos were uploaded!
- We TRENDED on Twitter for all 24 hours!
- We had over 200 prizes donated!
- We had 5 generous individuals who helped us “warm up” with guest posts!
- We had 4 cohosts (Courtney, Deb, Dana, Kate) in addition to our hosts/organizers (Heather and Andi).
Isn’t that amazing!!! We’re blown away every time we look at it! We’ve also been doing a bit of assessing as we’ve worked through this Read-a-Thon, and there are some things we think we’re doing pretty well, and there are a couple of areas we want to work on, and we want to share them with you!
Hourly mini-challenges and co-hosts! We feel like these have been smooth sailing for the last few Read-a-Thons, so while we might be tweaking, there won’t be any major overhauls in this area.
Cheerleading! We had an AMAZING group of Cheerleaders and I don’t FOR A MINUTE, want to take away from their accomplishments! We’ve gotten lots of direct comments, and we’ve seen in the closing surveys that many of you felt like the cheerleaders ROCKED! The only problem? There are 38 of them for 484 blogs/channels. OMG, right??? I don’t even know how they make a dent! We’re considering some options to make blog/channel comments more plentiful in April, but this really comes down to the cheerleading manpower we have. If you’ve ever thought of volunteering to cheer, we really need you!
Prizes! I’ve seen the question pop up: “Why do you guys have so many prizes but you give so few away?” Quite simply, the bulk of our donations come from US publishers who do not ship internationally. We hate to limit the pool from which our international participants choose, so that means those of us behind the scenes have to cover the cost of international shipping. Roughly half of our winners are international and only SEVEN individuals have offered to help us cover international shipping costs. OUCH! Right now we could be spending as much as $210+ shipping prizes, so that’s why we have limited the number we give away. Going forward we hope to…
1. Attract more “angels” to help ship international prizes — US residents who will receive a prize and forward it to the international recipient (email email@example.com to volunteer to help with October 2013 shipping!)
2. Attract a larger pool of international publishers who can donate and ship their own books (this is the ideal!)
We take your feedback seriously, and that’s why we’re asking you to fill out this quick survey (6 questions, totally anonymous) to help us prioritize and make some decisions about these areas!
Lastly, we really want to thank EVERYONE involved! This was an especially spirited Read-a-Thon full of genuine excitement and community warmth. Even if you only got to read for a few hours… or a few minutes, you were still a part of something AMAZING!
Without further ado, go ahead and put it on your calendar. The Spring 2014 Read-a-Thon will take place on April 26th! Be there or be square! Put in for your days off and book that babysitter. It’s ON!
We’d also love it if you could indicate your volunteer interests for April in the form below. We’ll be in touch!!!